A week at a glance:
*This week, we began our third unit on American Sports with our focus question being “why are sports important in American Culture?” Students participated in a gallery walk and read a story to analyze the author’s opinion around sports.
THANK YOU for coming in and supporting your children! Our exhibition today was a huge success. Students were able to present an escape plan, blueprint, completed building, and a description of their natural disaster/location all relating to how changes on Earth’s surface impact living things and how humans plan for, prepare for, and react to these impacts. We are beginning our Young Ameritowne unit Monday! We have more volunteer options on our bit.ly, so PLEASE go and volunteer! J
5th Grade Math:
*We continued our 3rd unit of fractions. Students learned how to add/subtract fractions with like and unlike denominators, finding a common denominator and demonstrating this with a rectangular model. Students also learned how to add and subtract mixed numbers using a number line. If you would like to continue reviewing this with your child, feel free to look at Engage New York 5th Grade Module 3. We are starting lesson 10 on Monday. J
HW: Workbook Lessons 7 and 8 front and back!
6th Grade Math:
*We finished our 3rd module on positive and negative integers including absolute value, opposites, and coordinate grids. Students have polled 4th grade students to design a game that teaches one of the concepts they just mastered. This project is due Thursday, December 14th.
*We began our creative story writing around the familiar plot of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas for literacy night (next Thursday). Students planned and are drafting their stories which covers the theme of a character wanting something, stealing it and then having a change of heart. Students are trying to rhyme and illustrate like Dr. Seuss in these stories as well. These are really creative! Ask your child who their character is and what the character is stealing.
- Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade! (Ameritowne Interviews 1/26)
- Christmas Exchange: The kiddos asked if we could participate in a Secret Surprise/Santa Class Exchange. Going home with your kiddos on Monday is a filled out interest inventory on things that their “partner” would like. This is a SECRET and will be revealed on the last day before break (12/21). The actual Secret Surprise week will be 12/18-12/21 NOT next week. Our max spending is $10 and items can be purchased as smaller items or one big item. Every student who has a name has asked to participate. If you have concerns or would like to discuss options to help purchase these items for your child, please let me do not hesitate to reach out!
- LITERACY NIGHT: Thursday, December 14 from 5:30-7:00. Students can wear pajamas during the day and come to a night of fun at night!
- CHARACTER DAY: Dress as your favorite story book character 12/21 (the last day before break).
· BOX TOPS! Please collect and send these in! J
We are having an issue with correct computer usage in the classroom. The Department of Technology Services is currently looking into students who have been logging into other students’ accounts. Please take a moment to review internet safety and appropriate use of technology with your child.
Have a great weekend! J
Edison Elementary School
5th Grade – Room 202