*Students finished reading Esperanza Rising, a historical fiction text. Next week, students will write an essay that describes Esperanza's responses to challenges throughout the novel, before moving onto our final Module for Unit 1 (connecting Esperanza to the UDHR)! Ask your child what challenges Esperanza has faced and how she responded (fire, working, taking care of Mama, etc).
We finished our PBL Unit called Why Does Matter, Matter? Thank you to all of those who came to support our students and the feedback you provided! We are beginning our next unit revolving around Weather on Monday! On Monday the class will be Face Timing my mom’s husband who is a hot air balloon pilot. He will be sharing what he does and how it relates to weather. Encourage your child to come up with some questions they want to know either about hot air balloons or weather.
(A note from Ms. Runyon and Ms. McConnell’s Fifth Grade Math) *We continued our second unit of Multiplication and Division. Students learned how to apply the associative and distributive property when multiplying multi-digit numbers (426 x 78) and estimate by rounding (400x80). Students learned how to do this using standard algorithm as well as an area model.
(6th Grade math) *Students have finished the rates, ratios, percent unit. We have moved into dividing fractions. Our unit began with using models to show dividing fractions. We just learned the traditional algorithm that you probably are most familiar with, “flip the reciprocal and multiply.” The kids might call it invert and multiply which is the same thing.
*We began writing a creative story. This week, students modified the Magic School Bus Kicks Up a Storm and began planning and drafting a story using the mentor text. Ask your kiddo what their story is about, the character development, the setting, and their resolution! These kiddos have quite the imagination! :)
- Eagle Run money was due today! If your child participated and did not turn this is, please have the money and pledge form by MONDAY!
- Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade!
- Box Tops: Please collect and send in your box tops!! They are due October 20th!
- 5th grade is still looking for parents to help with setting up, tearing down, selling apples, taking tickets, and donating materials for the Haunted House for the Fall Festival. Let me know if you are interested and please sign up on our Sign Up Genius!
- Conferences: Conferences are coming up! Sign Up Genius should have sent you an email for sign-ups. If you did not receive this email, please let me know and I can get you the link to sign up. Please let me know if these dates just do not work for you. We can find an alternate time to meet. It is very important to me that I get to speak with each of you regarding your child’s progress in 5th grade.
5th Grade – Room 202
Edison Elementary School