In the “EXTRA” section below, there is a SignUpGenius that was created for parents to donate healthy snacks during CMAS. If you are interested, please click the link and sign up!
A week at a glance:
*This week, we continued our unit on the American Revolution as students found the main idea of different articles and answered text dependent questions using the point of view of the text with events leading up to the American Revolution. Students also analyzed the point of view of the Loyalists and read an article about “Private Yankee Doodle!”
HW: Read for AR!
We finished our human body unit. Our driving question for this unit was "how do our healthy habits and environmental factors affect how the human body systems work together?" Students created a PSA for a chosen body system, genes/environmental factors that affect this system, and how to prevent/treat this. Their projects were fantastic! J
5th Grade Math:
*We ended our 4th module of multiplication and division of fractions and decimal fractions. We will be reviewing concepts learned and prepare for CMAS testing when we get back! :)
HW: IXL/Mathfacts/frontrowed (class code: runyox)
6th Grade Math:
*We are continuing our 5th grade skills review in preparation for CMAS. We are currently working on Volume which was a surprising struggle conceptually for everyone. But after some work, we seem to be understanding how volume fills up a space. We will continue CMAS review when we return from spring break. Then we will move into our final 6th grade math unit of Geometry including nets and volume of figures other than that rectangular prisms.
*We continued writing creative stories using books we've read in class. Students are adding a third "chapter" to the book James and the Giant Peach. Students planned and drafted these stories. Their ideas are out of this world. Ask your child to share their draft to you! :) We will be choosing one of these stories to publish for Young Author’s Tea.
* Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade!
- Bit.ly/ArchieSnacks Sign-Up to donate snacks during CMAS.
* Spring Break: No school for students 3/24-4/2
* EdFest: April 14 from 6-11 pm
- CMAS dates: April 9-19th from 9:30am-11 ish. Please try to be at school for these days. Make ups are April 20th.
- CMAS practice: co.pearsonaccessnext.com
- Click “Student Resources,” then navigate by subject and click Grade 5.
- I sent home a sheet for Home Visit Sign Ups for the end of the year! Even if you have had one already, having another at the end is encouraged. This is completely optional but a great way to ask questions about next year, reflect on this year, and just have fun! J
Safe travels to all of those leaving Spring Break and a HAPPY SPRING BREAK to you all! J
Edison Elementary School
5th Grade – Room 202