*This week, we finished our reader's theater around the UDHR and Esperanza Rising! Students LOVED reading these scripts with their peers and acting in the class. They were so creative, enthusiastic, and engaged. We will be moving onto our next unit, Natural Disasters, Monday.
We are finishing our first portion of our weather unit and students are creating a report on their own selected natural disaster. Students utilized technology to learn about the different natural disasters, where they occur, why they occur, and how they impact living things. Ask your kiddo which natural disaster they chose and why!
HW: If your child is not caught up on their HyperDocs, they need to be by Monday morning. Please check in with them.
5th Grade Math *This week we took ANET for two days, but learned about metric conversions with decimals (kilometers-->millimeters) and how to create ratios to understand word problems. We will be moving onto division with decimals next week, so PLEASE review with your students multiplication and conversions with decimals at home! If you need more guidance, let me know and I can upload videos to help support you and your child!
HW: Any lesson of their choice from the workbook front and back due Wednesday signed on the green sheet! Students can also practice IXL at home for the "starred" problems!
6th Grade Math *This week we took ANET for two days. In addition, we are finishing our Module 2 on Dividing Fractions and working with decimals. Primarily dividing decimals. Next week your child will be given a Dividing Fractions project.
HW: Please work on this at home during the week.
*We began writing our last creative story. This week, students modified the story Come on Rain and began planning and drafting a story about someone wishing for an event to happen. Ask your kiddo what event they chose, the setting, and their resolution! We will be publishing one of the three creative stories all next week for our second writing grade.
- Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade!
- Science Fair: Please start thinking about and submitting your Science Fair forms. I require advanced classroom students to participate every year.
- Box Tops: Please collect and send in your box tops!! They are due October 20th! (Today)
- Scholastic Books; I sent home a magazine for Scholastic Books this week! This is due next Wednesday, October 25th to me. If you would like to submit your order to me for ordering, please return the magazine with the books marked, and a check made out to Scholastic. You may also place the order online. This is a GREAT way to support our classroom. Our class gets points that go towards purchasing books that grab your kiddos interest and add to our library. Our class code is GXNHG.
- Conferences: I have 100% participation signed up. Thank you! I look forward to seeing you during conferences. You should be getting an email reminder from Sign-up Genius two days before your scheduled time.
Thank you ALL for your continued support of our 5th graders and for all of those who are and have helped make Fall Festival a success!!
I hope you all have a great weekend! :)
5th Grade Teacher