A week at a glance:
*We continued our American Revolution unit. We analyzed Thomas Jefferson and his role in writing the Declaration of Independence. Students answered text dependent questions, analyzed structure of a text, and understood the impact of events. We will continue the American Revolution next week.
*This week, we began our annual Wax Museum project. The packet was sent home on Monday. PLEASE make sure you review the dates with your child. There will be some work done at home. The expectations are clear for upcoming dates. Next week, the biography notes and timeline are due (5/1 and 5/3). Late work will only be accepted if students are absent the day it is due.
6th Grade Math:
*We started our final 6th grade math unit focusing on area of triangles, trapezoids, and rhombuses. We will then begin finding volume and the surface area or “nets” of 3D figures.
5th Grade Math:
* We continued Module 5, Volume. Students learned how to find fractional parts of volume and the volume of two-dimensional figures. Students applied this with word problems as well.
*We learned the expectations of our biography unit by reading, planning, and drafting a biography on Jonas Salk. Next week, we will begin writing the biographies for our Wax Museum project. Please note that students may need to visit Denver Public Library to find books to support their research as some of our library’s books have already been snatched up by other 5th graders.
HW: Wax Museum (See packet for dates)
* Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade! Bit.ly/5thvolunteer
* Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast. May 4th 2018 7:30-8:30am in the auditorium.
* Author’s Tea: TONIGHT! April 26th from 3:45-5:30pm. K-2 in the gym, 3:45-5 in the auditorium. There will be a special performance by the Shakespeare Club at 4pm.
* Totally Tennyson is THIS Saturday, April 28th 2018.
* Field Day—Friday, May 11th. 5th grade is in the afternoon. Anyone want to help create or wash tie-dyes??
* Wax Museum—Friday, May 18th from 1-2:45. Performance is from 3:00-3:30 (auditorium).
* Memorial Day—No school Monday, May 28th
* Enrichment Day—Tuesday, May 29th
* 5th Grade Continuation—Wednesday, May 30th at Edison at 6 pm.
*Last Day of School—Thursday, May 31st
Thank you and have a fantastic weekend!
Edison Elementary School
5th Grade – Room 202