Also, there is NO school for students tomorrow (2/2)!
A week at a glance:
*This week, we continued our third unit on American Sports continuing our focus question from “why are sports important in American Culture?” Students continued learning how Jackie Robinson and how he fought for civil rights after his retirement. Students began to write and create their own opinion essay around Jackie’s impact on society.
Students will be publishing an opinion essay on Jackie Robinson using his popularity to forge the civil rights movement.
We continued our Young Ameritowne unit this week. Students were selected for jobs, researched philanthropies, and chose a company to “donate” money to. We will begin job training next week.
5th Grade Math:
*We continued our 4th module of multiplication and division of fractions and decimal fractions. Students learned how fractions are division through multiple forms (unit form, standard form, standard algorithm, tape diagram, etc). Students learned how to multiply a fraction of a whole, unit fraction to unit fraction, and non-unit fraction to non-unit fraction, while demonstrating this on a tape diagram/visual. The links for this unit on youtube is attached. We will ended on lesson 15.
HW: Lesson 12 and 14 in workbook front and back!
6th Grade Math:
*We are still working on our Expressions and Equations unit. Students are beginning to solve for variables and describe inequality statements in Algebra.
*We began descriptive essays around the human body. Students learned about the muscular system and bones in the human body while organizing this paragraph. We will begin prepping for student led conferences this week! We will continue this next week.
- No school for students THIS Friday, February 2nd, as well as the weekend after President’s Day (Monday/Tuesday 2/19, 2/20). Young Ameritowne is on Wednesday, February 21st!
- Student led conferences are 2/15. If you would like a 15 minute one-on-one conversation, those will need to be scheduled between 4-5:15. Student led conferences will be held from 5:30-8 pm. Please sign up on the Sign Up Genius that was sent out this week.
- Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade!
- PASSION DAY (3/23) is new this year and we would love for YOU or someone you know to present to our kiddos at Edison. Let me know if you are interested or need another sheet for sign up!
- BOX TOPS! Please collect and send these in! J
Have a great weekend!
Edison Elementary School
5th Grade – Room 202