A week at a glance:
*This week, we finished our third unit on American Sports continuing our focus question from “why are sports important in American Culture?” Students wrote their own opinion essay around Jackie’s impact on society. They are now applying their knowledge from this unit and are using their creativity to describe what breaking barriers means to them. These projects are part of the Colorado Rockies contest. Any participant will get tickets for a Colorado Rockies game, date TBD.
We continued our Young Ameritowne unit this week. Students were trained for their selected jobs and staff meetings were held to prepare for running the town.
5th Grade Math:
*We continued our 4th module of multiplication and division of fractions and decimal fractions. Students learned how fractions are division through multiple forms (unit form, standard form, standard algorithm, tape diagram, etc). Students learned how to multiply a fraction of a whole, unit fraction to unit fraction, and non-unit fraction to non-unit fraction, while demonstrating this on a tape diagram/visual. Students applied this with word problems (which is still very difficult for students). The links for this unit on youtube is attached. We ended on lesson 16.
HW: IXL/Mathfacts (Level 40, comparing fractions!)
6th Grade Math:
*We are wrapping up our expressions and equations unit. The unit test will be given next week with a project to follow. All 6th grade math students could benefit practicing multi-digit multiplication on IXL 5th grade skills. There have been many silly mistakes resulting in incorrect answers.
*We began prepping for student-led conferences by reviewing work and goals this week and placing this information on online portfolios! Ask to see your child’s TTP ahead of time if you want a conference preview. We will continue descriptive essays around the human body next week.
- No school for students the weekend after President’s Day (Monday/Tuesday 2/19, 2/20). Young Ameritowne is on Wednesday, February 21st! Students need to bring a sack lunch to Young Ameritowne that day.
- Student led conferences are 2/15. If you would like a 15 minute one-on-one conversation, those will need to be scheduled between 4-5:15. Student led conferences will be held from 5:30-8 pm.
- Bit.ly/5thvolunteer: Don't forget to sign up for volunteer options in 5th grade!
- PASSION DAY (3/23) is new this year and we would love for YOU or someone you know to present to our kiddos at Edison. Let Ms. Runyon know if you are interested or need another sheet for sign up!
- BOX TOPS! Please collect and send these in! J
It's almost conference time again (student-led - my favorite!). On conference nights our PTA organizes a potluck-style dinner for our teachers, since they'll be staying late after school. I just wanted to share the sign-up for this (link below), in case anyone is interested in bringing food next Thursday. The teachers are always very appreciative, and it's a fun way to support them.
Student-led Conferences 2018: Dinner for the Teachers
Student-led Conferences 2018: Dinner for the TeachersPlease help provide dinner for our teachers while they stay late for the student-led conferences on Feb 15. The...
Have a great weekend!
Edison Elementary School
5th Grade – Room 202