A week at a glance:
*We continued our American Revolution unit. We looked at a play called Divided Loyalties and analyzed point of view. Students understood the perspectives of characters through their actions and dialogue as well as inferred why they felt this way in relation to the Revolution. We had a literary discussion and will continue this text next week.
*This week, we continued our annual Wax Museum project. The packet was sent home last week. PLEASE make sure you review the dates with your child. There will be some work done at home. The expectations are clear for upcoming dates. The artifacts, bottle doll, biography, speeches, and overall project are due May 15-18th. Late work will only be accepted if students are absent the day it is due.
5th Grade Math:
* We reviewed fractions this week. Students applied what they learned this year by adding, subtracting, and multiplying fractions using word problems. We will be starting our last unit of geometry next week (Module 6—coordinate plans) next week.
6th Grade Math:
*We demonstrated our fraction knowledge of 5th grade addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions using word problems for our Student Learning Objectives (what 5th graders are required to know by year end). We continued working on our geometry unit. We measured distance on the coordinate grid and found the area of irregular polygons on coordinate grids as well.
*We began writing biographies for our Wax Museum project. Students applied what they learned about biographies to take their notes and place them in the same format as our Writing Alive curriculum. Biographies are due May 18th (May 17th if you need me to print for you).
HW: Wax Museum (See packet for dates)
* Field Day—Friday, May 11th. 5th grade is in the afternoon.
* Wax Museum—Friday, May 18th from 1-2:45. Performance is from 3:00-3:30 (auditorium).
* Memorial Day—No school Monday, May 28th
* Enrichment Day—Tuesday, May 29th
* 5th Grade Continuation—Wednesday, May 30th at Edison at 6 pm.
* Talent Show—Wednesday, May 30th
*Last Day of School—Thursday, May 31st
Thank you and have a fantastic weekend!